Paradorn Ansar: Giving 100%


by Traci Nubalo

One of the newer faces in the Second Life music scene is that of Paradorn Ansar. Para, as his fans call him, is a Dutch singer/songwriter who is building a solid fan base behind his excellent live performances at some of the better venues inworld. At the first show I saw of his, I was first impressed with his deep, rich voice. Backing himself up with some very tasty guitar, Para treated his audience to a very interesting mix of styles and moods. While primarily doing country songs, his fans are often thrilled by his diverse selection of “cross-over covers”, one of the many factors giving Para such a wide audience appeal.

I invited Para to sit with me in our new VIRTUAL TIMES offices at Insight College.

Traci Nubalo: So, let's warm up with some tech talk.
Paradorn Ansar: Okay, hit me.
TN: What guitar(s) do you use here in SL?
PA: I mainly use the Takamine guitar.
TN: It's acoustic/electric?
PA: Acoustic. I love that sound.
TN: Okay - is it mic'd or straight to the board?
PA: It has a built in mic.
TN: What effects do you use? You have such a lovely sound.
PA: Almost none; I just add a little effect from the mixer.
TN: It's a very present sound. I find it delightful; very live. It also seems to survive the bandwidth issue very well.
PA: That’s good. I always wonder. I don't know how you guys hear it.
TN: Plus you have both a nice soft playing style with the ability to power a bit as needed.
PA: Yes. I'm not playing with a pick. I use my fingers only.
TN: What's your training?
PA: The street; friends. I used the “look and listen and try” method.
TN: Prior to SL what were you doing musically?
PA: I've been playing in bands since I was 17 and kept doing so up until now.
TN: Country music?
PA: I started with country. Then country/southern rock. After that I joined a blues/rock band. I still play in that band. Music is a never-ending love for me.
TN: Are you able to do music for a living?
PA: Nah. I have a full daytime job as a customs officer.

Struggling to repress the image of a tall, handsome Dutchman crooning “Folsom Prison Blues” while rooting through my luggage caused me to abruptly shift gears.

TN: Para, have you ever played Desert Island Disk?
PA: Can't say I have.
TN: Well, if you were stranded on a desert island what three music disks would you want to have with you?
PA: “Desperado” by The Eagles, “Pocket Full of Gold” by Vince Gill and any record from Linda Ronstadt.
TN: Excellent choices
PA: My heroes!
TN: Care to elaborate? Why those three?
PA: The thing they all have in common is the close harmony vocals. Sends chills down my spine. It's just heartfelt music for me.
TN: Yes. And of course the Eagles vocals are all over many of the Ronstadt records.
PA: Yeps. In fact, I discovered the Eagles by listening to Linda Ronstadt.

This response was not at all surprising to me, given that the man possesses a truly gorgeous singing voice. One of my great wishes would be to hear him with tasteful harmony backing. The deep timbre and presence he carries vocally would open the field wide for a rich, full California-rock-style backup treatment. One other small-but-pleasing aspect to Para’s vocals: I can often “hear” him smiling as he sings. This great love of performance comes through in his voice so directly that I find myself just smiling and singing along - tight harmonies, of course!

TN: You are relatively new to SL music right, Para?
PA: Yes, I am. At first i didn't know there was such a thing as live music; I was busy discovering SL. But by accident I landed in a ballroom and there was a guy singing there. That was the first time. Between that and me singing on SL took six months or so.
TN: And how long ago did you begin singing here?
PA: Pfff. Let's see. It’s been four or five months ago I guess.
TN: Well, you seem to be growing in popularity.
PA: Is that so? Cool! You know, my main goal is to have fun.
TN: In talking to some of your fans, one thing they like is your voice. You have a deep, baritone-type singing voice.
PA: Well, it's quite relaxing singing like this.
TN: Let's talk about your song list. How do you select your material?
PA: Mainly the songs are those which I'm comfortable with. I like a lot of songs. And sometimes I get requests from fans. If I like the song and I can do it, I‘ll add it.
TN: One thing i enjoy about your material is the variety. It's not all country.
PA: Nope. But they are all songs I like to sing. I don't like only country, or only blues.
TN: Yes, you do something like John Denver's "Sunshine on my Shoulders." It crosses over. Or "Pancho and Lefty" from the great Townes Van Zandt.
PA: I even have a U2 song on my list - “Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.“
TN: You play a mean version of Dylan‘s "Knocking on Heavens Door", one of my all time favorites.
PA: Yes. That’s played in a thousand different ways. It’s a very cool song.
TN: Yes it is. So, being Dutch, how does the time difference impact your work here?
PA: Well, for one thing, I know some American and Australian venues who would like to have me, but they can't fit me in. So I'm planning to play on Saturdays or Sundays a few times so maybe that way I can play for them.
TN: This would be a real treat for the fans. One thing I know is that your wonderful Dutch accent seems to be popular with some of your American fans here - including me!
PA: Thank you! I‘ll tell you a secret: I was very nervous about that accent.
TN: I think it's a fun part of your show.
PA: Well, as long as I can keep having fun I go along.

Another fun highlight of Paradorn’s concert set is a hilarious version of David Allen Coe’s “The Rodeo Song.” It’s a hoot watching Para sing the most X-rated lyrics in SL using that gorgeous Dutch accent.

TN: It’s very obvious that you are having the time of your life singing, Para. And I see your audiences joining right in with you! I predict great success for you here in SL. Last question: This is your chance to speak directly to your SL fans; what would you like to say to them?
PA: I love their loyalty and support. And I always give myself 100%, even if there are only two people listening to me. That's a promise!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Free Blogger Templates Free Joomla TemplatesFree Blogger TemplatesFree Website TemplatesFree Wordpress Themes TemplatesFree CSS TemplatesFree Wordpress ThemesFree CSS Templates dreamweaver